Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I had an Oh Shit moment last night and this morning.  I was cooking dinner and generally knocking around my kitchen when I opened my fridge door and the light didn't come on.  I put my hand on the front of the fridge and realized it wasn't humming.  It was off.  I had an epic freak out.  I have two weeks worth of food in my freezer.  I don't get paid again until the 15th.  I cannot afford to lose that food.  What if it took my landlord awhile to get around to replacing/repairing the fridge?  How would I stick to my food plan?  I tossed and turned all night last night because of it, so working until 11pm tonight is going to SUCK.  So, this morning I called my landlord, and the office manager said she would send someone right over.  It was the circuit breaker.  Apparently my fridge and one outlet I don't usually use are on a breaker all by their little lonesome.  Boy did I feel dumb.

I was talking to the bike shop about which would be more affordable - for me - to pay the cost of putting disc brakes onto the bike I already own, or buying another bike that already has disc brakes on it.  The cost of a Trek 4300 (what I have) with disc brakes is $675.  The cost of putting disc brakes onto my bike would be a good $450 - that's still $225 less than buying a new bike and $225 is $225.  That's a lot of money.  Also, I haven't ruled out wanting the Giant Roam as a second bike.  Disc brakes or no - I would never be comfortable enough on that bike to ride it in the rain, but it would be a great sun and fun bike.  I have my commuter bike for sale on Craigslist.  My add clearly says that it's a good bike for a tall person.  Yet, until last night, the only response I'd gotten was from someone who is only 5'5".  But, yesterday, a man in Charlottesville called, asked if a man could ride it (why wouldn't a man be able to ride it?), and if I thought 5'9" was too short to ride it.  He wanted to come last night which I didn't see the point in coming all the way from Charlottesville to see it at night.  Officially, he is now going to come see it on Saturday.  It briefly occured to me that he was trying to find out where I live, so he could come steal the bike.  So, I've moved it inside the house.  I have my mountain bike with me at work, but I will also be keeping it inside the house for the time being.  I have locks for both the bikes, but locks can be cut off.

No comments:

Post a Comment